Change is an inevitable part of life. Big changes or little changes, life brings a lot of them. Change can also be scary. You don’t know what waits on the other side.
Is it failure or success? Will it be enlightening or disheartening? Change can motivate us or make us run and hide in the other direction. For some, adapting to change seems so easy. They seem to glide through changes with grace and ease. Is there some sort of secret to embracing change? Well, the short answer is no.
You already possess the skills you need to embrace change and roll with the punches, you just need to learn how to harness it.
What are skills that will help you embrace change in your life?
- Find the bright spot in the change. No matter the circumstance there can always be something good to be found; even if it is as simple as you are alive and breathing every morning.
- See the change as a challenge and set your sights on dominating it.
- Or, see the change in your life as a new adventure and something interesting that adds to your life story.
- Find out what new things this change has taught you about yourself. Did you acquire a new skill from the change or did you accomplish something you never thought you could do?
- Use the change as a way to reinvent yourself or a part of your life.
- Be gentle on yourself. Adapting to change takes time for anyone. Allow yourself the time and space you need to adjust to your new surroundings.
- Keep a daily journal or mood tracker to keep track of the progress you’re making each day.
- Get familiar with things involving your new lifestyle, whether it’s exploring a new city or understanding a health condition. Knowing more will help you feel more comfortable.
- Talk to friends or family about your hesitancy. Don’t keep things bottled up! Get support where you need it.
- Don’t think poorly about the things you left behind. Remember your old memories as a way to cheer yourself up but don’t use them as a way to bring yourself down.